When Jennifer got in touch to ask if I’d be interested in trying the pattern, I was excited as I love the vintage silhouette and the unusual collar detail, but most of all because the dress is cleverly drafted to allow for different cup sizes and achieve an excellent fit!
I didn’t quite get the perfect fit on this dress as I actually made it a little too big, but that’s my fault rather than any flaw in the pattern, which I found to be very well drafted and didn’t disappoint! I was nervous of how the dress would fit around the middle since it has a fairly flat waistline and so I graded out to a larger size on the waist, but I over compensated and it ended up being a bit too loose. The fit is just right around the shoulders so I will know next time that I can be less cautious and just make my straight size. I ought to have made a muslin first but I’m too impatient! When I spend time sewing I want to get a finished garment out of it so my usual approach with a new pattern is to just go for it but keep tinkering with the fit each time I make the pattern. I already have my next Laneway cut out and another planned after that, so I’m sure I’ll have it spot on soon. I do particularly like how the bodice is shaped with double open-ended darts in the waist rather than usual bust and waist darts – which is similar to another pattern I have made and loved – and I think once I get the sizing right it will be a fabulous shape. I’ve taken the side seams in a little and I’m still very pleased with the finished dress, it is completely wearable and very comfy!
Just look at this collar detail, isn’t it swoon worthy? It’s also really easy to sew as it’s all part of the facing – so no fiddly extra collar to attach! I chose the asymmetric line as it adds a quirky touch, but you can also choose a centred collar, or make it without the collar. I usually line the bodices of all my dresses rather than using facings, even if the pattern doesn’t require it, but this time I did make the facing so as to follow the pattern correctly the first time I made it. I’m actually quite happy with the facing as the collar does help to hold it properly in place. The dress also has a v neckline at the back which is a nice extra detail.
I did add a little extra swing into the skirt as it is drafted as an A-line but I prefer a fit and flare shape, so I just extended to curve of the hemline as wide as I could when I cut out the skirt pieces. I also want to try making the dress with a plain neckline and a gathered skirt, which should be another lovely combination!
I’ve had my eye on this beautiful Art Gallery fabric for a while after seeing it on Instagram and in a couple of haberdasheries. It’s from the Pastel Thrift collection, and the vintage record players and gramophones are charming. I’m always drawn to anything yellow and the tone of this dress is somewhere nicely between a bold yellow and a mustard yellow, so it adds a slightly different position on the spectrum to my wardrobe!! I think the fabric choice actually gives the dress quite a 1960s feel, despite it being a 1940s inspired shape, which shows the versatility of the dress pattern. It was the first time I’ve made a dress with an Art Gallery fabric and it was an absolute dream to sew with and lovely to wear, it’s quite soft and silky with a nice amount of drape for a quilting cotton. The collar is a Cotton & Steel fabric from the Sprinkles range, using material left over from an Emery dress I made last year. That dress is very special to me as Michael chose the fabric, so I wanted to draw on the colours and style for this dress. As a serious vinyl lover and collector, I know he would have loved this fabric too.
Overall, I found the Laneway dress to be a really fab pattern with an elegant vintage feel, and I’ll definitely be making more!